Monday, May 6, 2013

The New Normal

If you had said my life would be like this 4 months ago, I wouldn't have believed you. But I also would have said sure I can do this. Cancer treatment has involved weekly visits to the Vet, days of just relaxing and letting the meds to the work. Days of anemia and low blood counts. And the good days. For the past 4 months we have embraced every day.
At the same time we have been fully blessed. There have not been hard days or days of extreme sickness. Slight nausea and low red blood cell counts have been our worse days. Early on was harder than now, yet I tell God... I can handle more. Yet he does not give it to me, he has made this a wonderful journey. I have met wonderful people, found again a new outlook on life.
I think back on what Miss Maggie has taught me on our Journey with Cancer, and it is to greet each new day with a smile, a wag of the tail, with enthusiasm. To walk in to the clinic with joy, excitement and a "HI, I am here!" attitude. To get through each night after treatment with a patient, stoic determination... to embrace life and live it all.
I have realized that through out her whole life she has been teaching me this. Even as a crazy puppy, even as an older dog... she meets everyone as if they are her best friend that has been gone for 5 years. she wakes each day ready to have fun. Everything is done 110%.
The last 2 years I have thought I have an "old" dog. She was slowing down, I thought this is the time that we pace ourselves, that we embrace each day, but can't enjoy them to the fullest like we did before. Then we had the Cancer diagnosis and that had changed ALOT. She once again has the love of life she had before. She has taught me to never give up, to expect nothing and appreciate everything. In a month we are done with Chemotherapy, our weekly Vet appointments will end. What do we do then? What is life to be like. Oh we shall enjoy every moment we have together and we shall live it all to the fullest.
We also shall be learning a "new Normal".. We have already learned how to live our New Normal of weekly appointments and life with Cancer treatment... now we shall learn how to live life, to fully live life until it is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment