Sunday, September 15, 2013

Happy 11th Birthday Miss Maggie!

Happy Birthday! Her birthday just happens to coincide with mine. No, I didn't make it up, she truly was born on Sept 15th 2002. Do I love her any more or less then the others that have passed through my life? No, if you know me, you know they all have a special place in my heart, even the ones that aren't mine.
But this birthday is a bit more special than the others. For it is one that might not have come. Earlier in the year at New Years I was not sure of the path we were going to follow, not sure what decisions I would have to make, or what was in store for us. I will admit that once I committed to Chemotherapy I fully believed that we would have remission for 2 years, that one day nature would just take it's course and Maggie will leave this world in a natural way of old age. Okay part of that is unrealistic and I am aware and prepared to have to decided when the time is the time. But I did know we would find remission and it would be a long one. What I did not know was how wonderful this journey would be, how amazing she is and how she is my hero.
Some of our adventures are chronicled here, some are not. Basically her strong will, being a bull in a china shop, knowing what she wants and not "leaving off" it until she got it, our schedule and routine of exercise, medications, and rest days, allowed this to be a joyful experience. I didn't need to reach out for the support of everyone through the blog. Though just knowing you were there if I needed you was help in itself. I found the strength everyday in her eyes, her will to go on.
So currently she is 3&1/2 months in remission, she is full of energy, her hair is growing back, she has a tail again! We had monthly visits to the Oncologist who would say "go home, have fun, you are too well to be here". It was comforting when she greeted everyone with a butt moving tail wag, and everyone would come out to say hello to her, they really did love her and miss her. I also feel so blessed when the Oncologist said "I really am so pleased with her, I really did not think we would be at this point today when we first met in January." I want to say to him "we shall be here for many years to come" but who knows about that.
So she runs, she plays, she chews her bones. Greeting each new day as another day we have together, we try to make the most of it. But time also moves on and you get comfortable, fall back into the old ways, thinking there is tomorrow for that long walk or run on the golf course at night. We are back into our normal routine of life, and that is good. Though I do need to remember that everyday is precious. And as much as I realize every year I get to have a birthday myself, to be alive myself, is a joy, I do realize it too with her. I am so blessed to have know this dog, to know her spirit, for it is an amazing strong spirit. She is my teacher, my mentor, my companion, my soul mate in many ways. I have been so honored to have her in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment