Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Caring for those you are entrusted with....

I feel like crap today... I let down Miss Maggie once again. I am not saying I can't make a mistake or won't make a mistake, no one is perfect. I just feel bad that I just don't understand her.
Apparently Miss Maggie is in quite a bit of pain and has been... just like the darn hindsight showed me she was sick for quite awhile before beginning her cancer treatments. I feel like I just don't get it, am I really not seeing what she is trying to tell me? Or is she hiding it really well. I think it is the later...
For while I am not one to over react to every little thing that occurs, I do have a wait and see attitude but I do have her best interest at heart.
I have noticed the past few months that she has been limping, not walking at a full stride. We tried some painkillers and exercise for a short time and that helped her. I had thought on looking into the Rehab department with the Hope Center in the future, perhaps when things had progressed more, I mean I was thinking this was just old dog-ness...
But at our last appointment the Oncologist said it could be a good thing for her. He thought they might have openings a few weeks out... we asked, they had one this week... well, why not I thought advice is always a good thing and it doesn't hurt to just see what they have to say.
So this Wed found ourselves at the rehab center waiting for our appointment... then it found us realizing she has level 2 arthritis perhaps a low 3. While that is a concern there is something more immediate that needs our attention... She is limping, she has a strained groin muscle that is flaming in heat, she has some super tight, spasming muscles... she is pretty uncomfortable... I never saw it. I would have given her the pain pills we had, but didn't think she was in pain.
She does hide her pain; also I have never seen her in pain. When I have known she has hurt herself she acts as if she isn't.
I realize that she really will walk to the end of the earth for me, do anything, has full trust in me... and I feel like I just let her down. It is fine though we are on the right path, we are getting relief and now I know. Also it just amazes me even more how wonderful this dog is. She really is an angel, someone special. I am truly blessed to have her in my life.
So there are not great words of wisdom tonight, no revelations... just a thought I need to post a blog and this is a new event in our journey of life... and something we as Animal Care Takers in this life need to remember and look out for. Don't just ask if something is wrong, look twice and a third time then go find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment